Proposal Writer - Washington, D.C.
Based out of our Washington, D.C., office, this position will prepare assigned sections of project proposals and perform research and editing as required while under general direction of the Senior Manager of Project Implementation.
- Proposal Development:
- Conduct research and share information necessary for the preparation of proposals including, but not limited to, background on the country, financial sector, and characteristics of the technical design.
- Write specific sections of proposals addressing, but not limited to:
- organizational capabilities and prior project experience
- project staffing, responsibilities and management plan
- country and/or financial sector information
- need for proposed program interventions
- budget narrative
- Function as liaison with accounting staff to prepare and finalize budget proposal in accordance with program requirements and deadlines.
- Coordinate the recruitment of project staff with Human Resources as necessary.
- Continually develop technical knowledge and expertise to aid in the technical design of new projects.
- Edit and proofread all proposals. Work with other authors to address shortcomings and clarify concepts, strategies and design elements.
- Format proposal documents to meet or exceed donor requirements, on time.
- Project Opportunities:
- Perform research on development topics, countries and/or other matters as requested. Prepare report of findings and recommendations with supporting documentation as appropriate.
- Prepare and submit Expressions of Interest and other pertinent documents, enabling World Council to compete for desired projects.
- Actively seek opportunities for new business.
- Business Development Preparation and Support:
- Draft and maintain updated project summary reports and staff resumes for use in Expressions of Interest and proposals.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience: Bachelor's degree in economics, finance, international business, development, journalism, related areas of study, or equivalent work experience. Four years experience writing reports, proposals, technical pieces, background information, research summaries, and similar business documents. International development experience required. Effective project management capabilities and experience, including establishing schedules, prioritizing, writing content, and meeting deadlines. Experience working in a fast paced environment.
Interpersonal Skills: Must possess initiative; be self-motivated, resourceful, detail oriented, dependable; have high attention to detail.
Language Skills: Excellent written & oral communication skills in English and Spanish, along with the ability to translate written business documents from English to Spanish and vice versa.
Mathematic Skills: Basic to intermediate addition, subtraction, multiplication and division skills required. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations as well as abstract problem solving ability.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Office 2003 including Microsoft Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, and Contact Management systems/database management.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally be exposed to outdoor weather conditions and working in precarious places.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to talk, hear, reach with hands and arms; occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and stand. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job included close and distance vision along with the ability to adjust focus.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Up to 60 days of annual travel may be required.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and can be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management deems necessary.
Forward resume and cover letter, including salary requirements to:
World Council of Credit Unions
Fax: (608) 338-0533
EEO AAP Employer